Mark, an individual and a Millennial who recently joined an organization is all excited to be in a career growth oriented role. As a part of Gen Y, he has very high aspirations and expectations. He is hoping to achieve everything at a doubly fast pace.
Is that the benchmark mindset of other Millennials / Gen Y as well? …. May Be or May Be Not …
The biggest challenge for any organization has always been “how to manage its workforce”.
The survey, carried out by London Business School (LBS) in conjunction with Deloitte, also revealed that 37% had given themselves a maximum of a two year window with any one organization, and that 40% were already planning their next career move when they started a new job.
Is there truly a Generation Gap – in Values, Ethics, Patience levels, Resistance levels, Motivations… Do they really count ?
THE WORLD IS CHANGING… so do…. “THE HUMANS” – Change in behavior, human values, expectations, attitude, competitiveness are all visible.
Welcome Human Millennial – Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation (Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Researchers and commentators define these as birth years, ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s
- Is this the ever changing way the Millennial behaves and works?
- Do they have any specific characteristics or needs?
- Are organizations doing that extra to assimilate them into the system?
These are a few questions which are worth deliberating and more importantly waiting to be answered.
Few impacting characteristics that represent Millennials as a community are:
- Very competitive and want to take on the world
- Highly self determined, confident and can take up any challenge
- Very visible and socially networked
- Highly career oriented and keep track of their goals
- Very motivated with “We Can …We Will” attitude
But, Why, for What …. Is it Visibility, Money, Status, Brand, Ambition to Reach to Top…..That is what the HR practitioners need to understand.
Work Attitude – is there a shift? :
- Demand of Work Appreciation
- Highly Career Oriented
- Two Way Communication
- Values aligned with Goals
- Job hopping not a limitation for good opportunities
- Independent / Individual Contribution
- Very positive & optimistic – Entrepreneurial Skills
- What will happen to Mark?
- Who will take care of his aspirations?
- What will happen to his expectations?
Organizations have realized the need to “CHANGE”, accepted it, and are now investing in assimilation and retention of these employees.
IS THIS ENOUGH? …. MAY BE OR MAY BE NOT….. “CHANGE IS THE ONLY CONSTANT”
It is time for Organizations to think and take an Out-Of-the-Box Approach………… Sounds interesting?
- Branding, Employee: It has become critical for organizations to brand their employees as products. It is time to dismiss any negative thinking including poaching or headhunted. In-fact retention has decreased significantly for organizations who are very aggressive in branding their people.
- Being Loyal: Employees need an environment where they feel secure in their job. It is important to give your employees enough time and space to grow with the organization
- Values & Goals: Emphasis must be given when defining KRA’s of the individual and an alignment of Goals, Values, KRA’s needs to be established. Employees’ needs must be recognized and aligned with the goals
- Boss Vs Leader/Mentor Approach: It’s important to realize that Leadership is action and not position. Mentor / Leaders needs to be proactive in defining and monitoring the career progression. Feedback / Feed Forward approach is much needed. They need to encourage and promote healthy competition
- Individual Thinking: Provide a much needed environment where the individual can think/work independently with minimum supervision as aligned with their entrepreneurial skills. It is time to appreciate, recognize and celebrate the uniqueness
- Timely Recognition: Very important to understand the need of proper and timely recognition and benefit to the employee. Any sort of appreciation goes a long way in motivating employees. Even quick appraisal or early bonus can work wonders
- Learning & training: Grooming of employee with proper guidance / training and learning is a necessity to map with the constant change in the industry. Train from the perspective of “what is required and not what you have”.
Millennial in the workplace – hyped or real?
Well, you decide, I think it’s for real… let me know your point of view